The J/122 is the perfect marriage of all round J Boat performance with reassuring cruising
stability, live-aboard luxury and a proven race winning record. Quick and responsive, powerful and
stable, easy to handle, all with a beautiful hand-crafted cruising interior.
Developed with and built by J Composites in France, the J/122 is distinguished by a well-executed high quality interior, and a non-overlapping sail plan configuration that helps simplify the deck layout. The ease of an asymmetric spinnaker flown from a retractable carbon bowsprit makes it possible to achieve great performance with minimal crew effort.
Orion is a one owner J/122 equipped and maintained to the very highest standards and she has a proven race winning record both off shore, and around the buoy. If you are looking for an exceptional 40' racer/cruiser, this boat must be seen.
Boat Name: Orion
Make: J Boats
Boat Hull ID: JBC22082K213
Length Overall: 40'
Max Draft: 7'2"
Displacement: 14900 lb
Ballast: 5600 lb
- Volvo D2 40 HP
- Fuel: Diesel
- Type: Inboard
Fuel Tanks: 1
Fuel Tank Capacity: 35 gal
Water Tanks: 1
Water Tank Capacity: 42 gal
- Cabins: 2
- Heads Count: 1
- Boat Class: Racer/Cruiser
The J/122 is a versatile 40 foot performance sprit boat with comfortable live-aboard accommodations, a refined deck layout, and a low VCG keel with a moderate 7.2' draft. The hull & deck are built using superior SCRIMP infusion molding to maximize durability and long term value. A friendly cruiser/racer, J/122 offers a completely furnished interior, a simple to manage balanced sail plan, head turning performance and great looks.
• Cold-molded, solid, and laminated mahogany, finished in satin varnish. White finish on main bulkhead.
• Removable, wood effect veneered floor panels with lockdown hardware and ss metal ferrules and flush fasteners.
• White wood hull lining effect in main cabin. Vinyl lining on hull sides in sleeping cabins.
• Cored and insulated doors to all cabin areas.
Accommodation (3 cabin layout)
- Spacious satin mahogany interior with accommodation for up to 8 crew in 4 cabins including saloon
- Forward cabin with V berth and deck hatch
- Separate head compartment forawrd with Jabsco marine toilet, sink/shower and direct access to forward cabin
- Open plan main salon with large full width dinette arrangement forward (2 settee berths with lee cloths on both sides with option to make an additional berth on each side.)
- “L” shaped galley to starboard with gimballed 2 burner Eno gas stove/ oven, 2 s/s sinks, top loading refrigerator/freezer and waste bin
- Nav station/chart table opposite on port side
- Twin aft cabins with large double berths
- Overhead deck / ventilation hatches and opening port lights in all cabins provide adequate ventilation
- Companionway steps up to large well laid out self-draining cockpit with good access to side decks
- Good stowage throughout yacht including hanging lockers in fore / aft cabins and cockpit lockers
Hull & Deck
• Infusion molded sandwich construction using uni-and multi-directional fiberglass, low density balsa core, vinylester resin and the “SCRIMP” patented resin infusion process.
• White gelcoat hull finish with integrated gelcoat double boot stripe in flag blue.
• Off-white deck with two optional choice of non-skid colors
• Hull-to-deck joint is bonded with a methacrylate structural adhesive.
• Transverse/longitudinal grids and mast step are infused as part of the hull molding.
• Infusion molded, main bulkhead.
• All intermediate bulkheads are glassed to hull and deck for stiffness.
• Low VCG keel with encapsulated cast iron fin with lead bulb, bolted and bonded to shallow sump, with seamed joint to allow for easy removal.
• ORC legal foredeck toe rails molded into the deck.
• Large capacity self draining foredeck chain locker, with space for optional windlass.
• Two side lockers in cockpit, each capable of life-raft stowage.
• One aft locker in cockpit sole (aft of wheel).
• One Gas/LPG bottle locker, vented and drained overboard.
• Transom platform with removable swimming ladder.
• Balanced, composite rudder using uni and multi-directional fiberglass, on high resistance stainless steel stock, turning on JP3 self-aligning bearings.
Spars & Rigging
• Auto-claved black carbon fiber mast, runnerless with double spreaders, mainsail track, finished in clearcoat. (New Offshore carbon mast - 2017)
• Black painted aluminum boom, with 12:1 outhaul purchase system, two reef line sheaves, internal mainsheet anchoring point and forward articulated blocks to deck.
• Pre-molded mast wedge system, and adjustable mast step.
• Discontinuous rod rigging (Nitronic 50).
• Remote panel hydraulic backstay adjuster with panel installed on forward face of pedestal.
• SS hydraulic panel guard.
• Retractable carbon bowsprit controlled from cockpit with watertight containment box draining overboard.
• Solid boomvang with 24:1 integral purchase system.
• Two jib halyards
• Two spinnaker halyards
• Mainsail traveler lines.
• Adjustable jib lead cars with custom in-haulers
• Two reef lines.
• Two Harken 50.2 STA self-tailing primary winches.
• Two Harken 46.2 STA self tailing mainsheet winches.
• Two Harken 40 STA halyard winches on aft end of coach roof.
• Below decks 2:1 Harken mainsheet system starting at the traveler, led forward through the boom, down to side decks, then aft under deck to cockpit winches.
• Harken adjustable mainsheet traveler with 6:1 purchase with ratchets and cam cleats attached to car.
• Harken jib tracks, with ball-bearing car system and adjustable purchase led to the cockpit.
• Two Harken foot blocks for jib sheets.
• Harken spinnaker sheet blocks mounted on thru-deck U bolts.
• Five mast base turning blocks.
• Two 4-sheave deck organizers to lead halyards and reef lines aft.
• Four stoppers on each side of coach roof.
• Spinnaker tack line led aft to stopper on starboard side of coach roof.
• Roller furling control line led aft to stopper on port side of coach roof.
• Bowsprit control line led to cockpit.
• Six mooring cleats.
• Stainless chain plates for shrouds and backstay
• Stainless handrails on top of coach roof.
• Double rail stainless pulpit and pushpit.
• Double lifeline system with 8 stanchions including 4 with reinforcing leg.
• 59 inch aluminum racing wheel, mounted to custom molded pedestal, with wheel well and drain.
• Compass on wheel pedestal with stainless binnacle guard.
• Acrylic companionway washboard with lock, stored in aft cockpit locker.
• Emergency tiller.
Electronics and Navigation:
B&G H5000 CPU - new 2021
B&G Zeus3 12" chart plotter at nav station - new 2022
B&G 20/20 Display Pack X 4 on Mast
B&G Repeaters at companionway - X 3
B&G Mast head unit -new 2021
B&G H5000 autopilot
B&G VHF V50
Global Fix iPro 406 MHz GPS EPIRB
SiriusXM Satellite Weather
Silva Compass Type 120 at binnacle
Complete Quantum Sails Inventory
Day Race Mainsail - 2022 - Carbon/Technora - MR 7600
Cruising Mainsail - 2022 - Polyester - CDX Pro Grey - two reefs (brand new)
J-1 - 2019 & 2015 - Carbon Technora - MR 7600
J-2 - 2020 & 2017 - Carbon/Technora - MR 7600
J-3 - 2017 - Carbon Technora - MR 7600
J-4 - 2013 - Carbon Technora - MR 7600
MH Code Zero - 2013 - Polyester/Technora - CZ30/15 - 122 sq. meters
MH Code Zero - 2022- Carbon/Technora - CZ GP - 107 sq. meters (brand new)
A-1.5 - 2013 - Nylon - Airx 600 - 156 sq. meters
A-2 - 2013 - Nylon - Airx 600/700 - ATN Sleeve - 157 sq. meters
A-2 - 2016 - Nylon - Airx 600/700 - 157 sq. meters
A-2 - 2020 - Nylon - Airx 600/700 - 157 sq. meters
A-3 - 2014 - Nylon - Superkote130/150 - 138 sq. meters
Spin Staysail - Polyester/Technora - CZ 05 HP - on furler
FRO - Technora - CZ 30 GP - 83 sq. meters
Storm jib and trysail - 2013 - Dacron - 9oz - Storm Orange
Plumbing & Electrical
• Manual bilge pump in cockpit.
• Electric bilge pump with switch from automatic to manual with control and individual warning light.
• Shower drain pump with filter.
• Pressurized water system.
• 12V DC refrigeration.
• Stainless water tank (42 gallon) under main cabin settee
• Icebox drain.
• 5 gallon hot water tank.
• Marine WC.
• Holding tank with pump-out.
Two 100 AH AGM type batteries & one 70 AH battery for engine, with switches.
• 12V electrical panel, with fuel gauge, voltmeter and amp meter.
• 110V main circuit breaker and panel.
• Halogen lights on ceilings and swiveling tulip lights in cabins.
• Ceiling light in heads.
• Low voltage LED navigation lights on pushpit and pulpit.
• Steaming light and mooring light.
• Grounding system for protection against lightning.
• Sterling power pro charger
• 110V Shorepower inlet with 30 amp service and one outlet at nav station
• Volvo D2 40 HP Saildrive diesel engine, 115 AH alternator, with double diode and fresh water-cooling with heat exchanger. Engine hours - 1,456
• Volvo engine controls & fuel gauge recessed in cockpit, with plexiglass protection, including rev. counter, hour meter and alarms for oil pressure, low voltage and water temperature.
• 35 gallon aluminum fuel tank.
• Sound insulated engine compartment, ventilation pipes.
• Gori three-blade folding propeller.
Recent Updates (2021-2022)
- New AGM engine start battery
- Winches serviced
- New jib and spinnaker sheets & halyards (x2 each)
- New port and starboard nav lights
- New Eno stove/oven
- New B&G H5000 CPU and masthead unit
- New B&G H5000 auto pilot
- New bottom wet sanded and painted w/ VC Offshore
- New holding tank and all hoses, etc
- New through hulls (x3)
- Mast and boom repainted
- New mast and boom sheaves
- All interior woodwork re-varnished
- All on-deck rigging lines replaced
- XM Sirius Satellite Weather antenna
Fenders, dock lines, man overboard module, two brand new ditch bags and an anchor, rode and line.
*Two Ocean Safety 6-Person life rafts, just overhauled by LSRE, capable of being being stowed in the cockpit lockers (Option - not included with price of boat)