J/Boats has made their mark on the daysailor market once again with the new 28’ J/9. Easy to own and fun to sail, the proportions of the /9 are perfect for an afternoon on the water with friends, a solo sail around the bay, or an evening of beercan racing. But don’t take our word for it – come see for yourself with a sea trial in Newport! Sailing is believing, so contact me to get your test sail on the schedule.
McMichael has one J/9 available for July delivery, and the remaining slots for spring 2022 are filling up fast, so reserve yours today!
Scroll down for full J/9 specifications
J/9 SPECIFICATIONS 2-8-21
- Hull and deck molded with biaxial and unidirectional E-glass fabrics and Corecell foam for optimal strength to weight ratio. High density core inserts used in way of highly loaded hardware.
- White gelcoat hull with single boot stripe.
- 10 year transferable warranty against osmotic hull blistering, 5 year structural warranty.
- White gelcoat deck with molded non-skid on horizontal deck surfaces.
- High strength, inward turning and overlapping hull to deck joint.
- Molded ISO/ORC height foredeck toe-rails on foredeck.
- Large self-draining cockpit with wrap-around seating and angled backrests.
- Two large cockpit seat storage lockers.
- Swim platform with transom boarding access and optional fold-up swim ladder.
- Molded, structural transverse keel support beams.
- 4.9’ draft low VCG lead keel bonded and bolted to keel sump. Option for 3.9’ draft keel.
- High aspect, balanced spade rudder mounted in self-aligning, low friction rudder bearings.
- Custom laminated, varnished, curved tiller.
- Spinlock adjustable tiller extension with handle.
- One AGM Group 27 battery.
- 12V DC On/Off battery switch.
- 12V DC electrical distribution panel w/ 4 circuit breakers.
- LED navigation lights.
- UL approved stranded, tinned copper ABYC color-coded wiring.
- Bonding system to meet ABYC regulations.
- Two swiveling LED reading lights in main cabin.
- Two red/white dome lights.
- Automatic electric bilge pump and panel switch for manual operation.
- SS fabricated chainplates for shrouds.
- Foredeck skylight hatch mounted on cabin house forward of mast.
- Two opening portlights on cabin house sides.
- Companionway opening with molded seahood and slider.
- Acrylic offshore removable dropboard with inside/outside lockable hasp.
- Two 2-Speed Harken 35:1 self-tailing winches on cabin top.
- Two 10″ lock-in winch handles with winch handle pockets.
- Two fixed jib tracks on cabin top with plunger-style jib cars. Option for self-tacking jib system.
- 5:1 Harken mainsheet system leading to boom-mounted ratchet block/cam near the tiller.
- Adjustable backstay system with control lines led to the cockpit.
- Harken jib furling system with control line led to cockpit
- Halyard lead blocks mounted at mast base, halyard organizers and Spinlock double rope clutches one per side.
- Stainless bow rail, stanchions and stern rails with single 20” height lifeline, starboard boarding gate and transom gate.
- Foredeck and transom mooring cleats (4).
- Cockpit operated manual bilge pump operable from the helm.
Spars & Rigging
- Tapered, fractional, keel-stepped Sparcraft aluminum mast with single sweptback spreaders attached with stainless thru-bar. Mast includes halyard sheaves, fittings for boom and boom vang attachments, masthead crane, shroud termination points and a steaming light. Spars are anodized and powder-coated white.
- Aluminum boom with 8:1 outhaul, mainsheet attachment points, sheaves for the outhaul and reef line, and lazy jack terminations.
- Standing rigging: 1×19 wire forestay & side rigging with adjustable open-body turnbuckles. Soft Dyneema backstay.
- Running rigging package including main halyard, jib halyard, main sheet, two jib sheets, reef line, furler line, lazy jacks.
- Main cabin with full length settee berth and removable backrest to port, double seat to starboard, storage compartments outboard and below the berth/seats.
- Choice of Sunbrella fabrics for 3″ standard main salon cushions.
- Teak and holly synthetic high-wear cabin sole in main cabin with centerline access to bilge.
- 48 Quart Igloo cooler.
- Angled companionway steps with nonskid treads.
- Molded V-berth supports (Option for V-berth platform & cushions).
- Head platform with Raritan PH-II WC, TP holder, holding tank and deck pump out fitting.
- Centerline storage aft of companionway (or engine compartment and systems w/inboard engine option).
- Air-dry gelcoat finish on interior hull & deck surfaces.
- Two-tone deck.
- Additional Opening portlights (2) on aft face of cabin.
- Self-tacking jib system with athwartships track with jib sheet led aft to cockpit.
- Sail-Away Starter Package – North Nordac mainsail and jib (choice of either 104% jib or 90% self-tacking jib); B&G Triton2 speed/depth instrument package; sprayed anti-foul bottom finish with barrier coat.
- Code Zero/A-Sail Deck Package – fixed carbon bowsprit with tack line, two spinnaker sheets, halyard, and turning blocks to lead the sheet tails to the cabin top winches.
- 110V 30amp Shorepower system with shore cord and AC panel one interior 110V outlet & battery charger.
- V-Berth package with platform, two cushions and two swiveling reading lights.
- Outboard bracket
- Electric inboard engine with pod-drive and cockpit operated controller.
- Inboard diesel engine (Yanmar 2YM15) with Saildrive and two-blade folding prop.
- Flexiteek synthetic cockpit floor and swim platform surfaces.
- Retractable/folding swim ladder.
- Comfort Group – mainsail cover and tiller cover in matching Sunbrella, and 2” cockpit cushions in white vinyl.
- Cockpit dodger with side curtains.
NOTICE: Specifications are subject to change prior to delivery due to deletions, additions or revisions in quantities, brand or design at the sole discretion of J/Boats, Inc. Newport, RI