2017 MJM Yachts 36z
Along with classic good looks, unsurpassed quality of construction and superior performance from a modern hull form: MJM’s goal for all its models has been threefold:
(1) Create boats that can be easily operated by one person, meaning husband or wife, in the most demanding situations such as when docking or handling in rough seas.
(2) Be sure that the boat is as comfortable for 2-person cruising for its size as possible AND fun to use with friends (e.g. 2-3 other couples) on a daily, spur-of-the-moment basis to, for example, go out to dinner, go on a short sunset cruise, watch the local sailboat races, or to take the kids to a secluded beach or island. Boats that remain tied up to a dock except for 3-4 trips a year are not very practical unless they replace one’s year-round home.
(3) Be easy to own, e.g. minimal maintenance, operating issues and few restraints when docking, mooring or shipping by truck between residences..
The popular 36z admirably fulfills all these goals: (1) Handling with a combination of a natural-response destroyer wheel in seas and it’s IPS-like joystick control with twin engines at idling speeds around docks. (2) Welcoming for all ages with side-opening doors and single-level cockpit/ pilothouse that seats 12 comfortably on a good day, 6 in any-weather. (3) Ease of Ownership? We know of no other boat that combines the 36z benefits of: Having no exposed wood to maintain on deck; Sterndrives that bounce up, then back down, when striking an underwater object, which when raised are reachable from the swim platform to clear props without going swimming, which can be raised part way for shoal water navigation or all the way for mooring in 17” of water or beaching the boat; Having height dimensions to fit under all 21 bridges (under 9.5 feet) between Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale; Having height and width (12 feet or less) to be trucked without need of chase cars and alternate routing at the price of a 30 footer.
The Express model offers an alternate styling with the opportunity to provide additional solid-glass protection for rougher water, higher speed operation while still have the flexibility to open up the sides, back and windshields for optimum control of ventilation. Apart from the design of these pilothouse side windows, the Downeast and Express models are alike.
- MJM Yachts
- Boat Type:
- Hull Material:
- Hull Type:
- Modified Vee
Dimensions & Weight
- 36 ft - 10.97 meter
- 39 ft 3 in - 11.96 meter
- 11 ft - 3.35 meter
- Draft - max:
- 2 ft 5 in - 0.74 meter
- Bridge Clearance:
- 9 ft - 2.74 meter
- Dry Weight:
- 13100 lbs
- Deadrise Aft:
- 18.00 °
- Volvo Penta 220 hp D3
- Engine Type:
- Inboard / Outboard
- Drive Type:
- Stern Drive
- Fuel Type:
- Fuel Tank:
- 200 gallons - 2 tank(s)
- Fresh Water Tank:
- 100 gallons - 1 tank(s)
- Holding Tank:
- 18 gallons - 1 tank(s)
- Total Cabins:
- Total Berths:
- Total Sleeps:
- Total Heads:
- Captains Cabin:
- Crew Cabins:
- Crew Berths:
- Crew Sleeps:
- Crew Heads:
• Awlcraft 2000 color of choice w/3 coats clear for scratch/scuff repairs. Single boot & cove stripe.
• Exceptionally strong, light, high-tech composite construction of wet prepreg biaxial-knit E-glass & KEVLAR outer skin with Gougeon slow-set epoxy to a 60:40 ratio (glass to resin ratio) layered in the mold with CoreCell closed-cell foam core and vacuum-bagged to 2116 lbs per square foot to compress the laminate and eliminate air prior to post-curing at 145F.
• Solid unidirectional E-glass/epoxy GRP centerline keel/backbone with structural grid to minimize damage from grounding and to exceed CE Mark (ISO) structural standards for an Ocean Category A vessel.
• Solid glass or high-compression Penske-Board coring with rebated outer/inner skin bonding in way of thru- hull fittings or thru-bolted hardware.
• Name and Hailing Port on Transom (1 color vinyl)
• Micron Extra Anti-Fouling Bottom Paint in color of choice or white gelcoat.
• Access Doors to cockpit (Port & Starboard).
• Transferable 10-year osmotic blister warranty.
• Bilges, finished in easy-to-clean, gloss-white finish.
• PVC guardrail with high-polish stainless rub strip.
• Large, tinted Lewmar through-hull opening ports in saloon w/screens and pulldown shades.
• Molded quarter-guard with stainless steel rubstrake.
• Swim Platform with Armstrong 37” Stainless Telescoping Ladder, Scandvik Hot/Cold Shower, Stainless Transom Grab Handle
• High-tech composite construction under vacuum using oven post-cured epoxy impregnated, stitched biaxial E- glass and water resistant 1” AIREX C70 foam core.
• Solid glass or high compression Penske Board core in way of all thru bolted hardware and over-sized epoxy G-10 pressure- laminated composite backing plates for all cleats and stanchions.
• Hull to deck fused together as monocoque structure with cyano-acrylate adhesive with shear strength of 1.5 tons per square inch and with mechanical fasteners of the gunwale guard on 8-10” centers.
• Exceptionally strong, fully-molded (inside & out) and gelcoated windshield frame/posts with hardtop.
• Cook “Armor Flex” off-white gelcoat deck w/sand- textured non-skid in buff or other color of choice.
• Heavy-duty latch & retainer magnet on side-opening doors P&S.
• Convertible pilothouse enclosed by clear, weather tight, zippered roll-up in place, StrataGlass windows Window in aft entry door has combo window/screen
• Dual fully-opening windshields with safety glass and electric wiper/washers.
• Stidd 500N Low-Back Admiral Recliner Piloting Seats on adjustable pedestal that lowers to allow chairs to swivel 360 degrees for living room setting.
• Removable teak single-leaf dining table
• Stainless 1-1/4” bow rail with ITT Jabsco 400,000 cp halogen spotlight and 16” teak burgee staff.
• Muir windlass, polished stainless bow guard, bow roller, self-launching Lewmar claw anchor w/250’ rode/Chain and high-pressure fresh-water, chain/rode washer operable from helm.
• Deck drains divert dirt/soot/dew/rain into gray water system and out transom…rather than onto topsides.
• 12" custom 316L stainless custom bow cleats (2) and 10” side-deck and stern cleats (4) with matching bow chocks (2) having 22mm opening
• 316L Stainless 1” handrails (6 pairs) on cabin trunk, pilothouse roof, side windshield frame, aft of pilothouse for boarding and under pilothouse roof aft of piloting chairs and companionway entrance.
• Molded side-deck access steps (P&S) in cockpit.
• Large storage compartment under cockpit sole with hinged lids, overboard drains and lockdown seals capable of holding deflated Avon Redcrest dinghy, offshore survival raft.
• Systems compartment w/hatch under pilothouse sole.
• 20”W x72”L x40”H pilothouse settee lockers P&S w/piston-activated lockable lids. Lockers have vinyl flooring and mesh storage bags for fenders, docklines, power cords, hoses, mountain bike, hard luggage and/or golf club storage.
• Teak storage drawers (2) under piloting seats.
• Pilothouse settees with UltraLeather cushions and backrests in color of choice. Settees convert to 6.5’ berths with natural latex memory foam cushions.
• Lewmar 20”x20” (2) hatches in saloon, 10”x10” (2) in galley and head and Lewmar 15”x20” (2) vent hatches in pilothouse with Ocean screen/shades.
• 4 opening cabin trunk portlights with screens/shades .
• Gloss-varnished teak bi-fold companionway door and 4- section hinged cover with brass combo lock.
• Aft cockpit seat doubles as engine cover, hinging upward 45 degrees on power screw lifts for engine access with bolstered UltraLeather bottom and backrest cushions and Stamoid weather cover.
• Two aft facing cockpit seats with storage lockers and bottom cushions.
• Drink holders (4)
• 3x5 American flag with teak staff and retainer pin.
• Custom Armstrong swim ladder
NAVIGATION & INSTRUMENTATION
• Bi-level instrument console with gray anti-glare top surface for multi-function navigational display.
• Ritchie SS-2000 4.5” flush-mount, high-performance, Supersport compass with movable sunshield.
• Nav Station to port with 25x17 surface for Chart kit and/or laptop and 4" deep drawer.
• AFI Stainless Dual Trumpet Electric Horn
• Raymarine E125 Hybrid Touch plotter w/integral WiFi for iPad and Navionics Platinum Plus XL chip.
• 350W Airmar Gemeco depth ssensor with i70R multi- function display
• Raymarine 24” 4 KW HD color radar
• Raymarine 218VHF with RAM at helm
• Twin Volvo Penta 220 hp D3 in-line 5 cylinder common-rail diesels with electronic EVC display matched to Volvo-Penta’s new OceanX stern drives with titaniumceramic coating and dual counter-rotating F Series Stainless Steel props. These are Volvo’s new generation of luxury car 2.4 Liter diesels with exceptionally low emissions and noise levels. Raw water intake and underwater exhaust are integral to the drives.
• Volvo-Penta Joystick Control (Functions like IPS)
• Standard 12v 150 amp alternators.
• Engine-room access by means of an electronically- elevated stern seat.
• Dual-lever Volvo-Penta electronic shift and throttle control for optimum response.
• Digital engine display for tachometer/engine hours, oil pressure, water temperature, fuel level, fuel consumption rate, and much more.
• Volvo-Penta engine spares kit and service manual.
• UL approved fuel shutoff and fuel/air separators.
• 500 Series Racor fuel filters (2) with spare cartridges.
• Two Interconnected (with shut-offs), bright-finish, coated aluminum 100 gallon fuel tanks with Wema SUF American standard fuel level sensors.
• Parker 221FR fire resistant USCG Class 1 high- tensile, steel- wire-braidreinforced, fuel hoses.
• Stainless engine air intakes (2) under coamings.
• Fiberglass drip pan below engines.
• Seafire automatic fire suppressant system in engine compartment with portable extinguisher in cockpit.
• Custom built MJM hinge-out, backlit electrical panel with 25-12v DC breakers, stainless breaker guards and digital DC monitor and Blue Seas battery combiner
• Cantalupi LED cabin reading lights (4).
• Overhead LED lights in galley (3), head (2), saloon (2), piloting console (2) and pilothouse (2) on 3 dimmer switches.
• Courtesy lights (4) in cockpit, saloon and head.
• Engine compartment light.
• Stainless 12V outlets (3).
• 610-700-ampere hour absorbed glass-mat battery capacity with 2- Group 4D 200 AH house and 2-Group 31 105 AH engine-start batteries plus Group 27 ’90 AH generator-start with option.
• Navigation and anchoring lights.
• Bonded electrical system and underwater fittings w/galvanic isolator.
• Field serviceable electrical system with bundled/numbered w/Deutsch O-ring waterproof connectors.
• 110Volt AC System - Shorepower w/MasterVolt MassCombi Inverter/Charger, 2-50' Cords and 6 Outlets.
• Teak rimmed Edson 24" destroyer wheel.
• Volvo Penta electronic steering control w/joystick docking.
• Lenco electric trim-tabs with console control.
• Pressure hot/cold water for galley with Jabsco SensorMax 17 microprocessor controlled pump with variable-speed water pressure, 10-gal. water heater and 98-gal. fresh water tank.
• Two Rule 1100 automatic electric bilge pumps in bow and amidships compartments isolated by the main bulkhead under the wheel.
• Dometic Vacuflush head system with 18 gallon holding tank (only uses cupful of freshwater per flush) w/ marina pump out and overboard macerator discharge.
• Back-up Bosworth high-capacity cockpit-operated manual bilge pump.
• Centralized gray water discharge system through transom to minimize thru-hulls.
• Gray water sump with strainer and clear inspection port for shower, icebox and AC condensate.
• Marelon non-corrosive thru-hulls/seacocks with strainers and double-clamped hose connections.
• Inlet for dock fresh water hose to use in lieu of boats pressure system when in a slip.
• Large wrap-around saloon lounge with 5” bolstered Ultraleather cushions in color of choice. Converts to large twin-berths 24”x84” w/latex memory foam cushions…or to large double berth w/optional filler.
• Satin-varnished cherry planked hull siding, forward bulkhead with bookshelves, storage shelves above berths and removable two-leaf saloon table.
• Push latches on doors & drawers w/handles.
• Gloss varnished teak & holly cabin sole.
• Privacy pull shades & screens for ports and hatches.
• Corian counter-tops.
• Poly storage bins (2) under saloon settee.
• Satin-finished cherry bureau & entertainment center.
• Off-white, foam backed vinyl headliner & hull liner.
• Head door, when open, serves as large dressing mirror.
• Supplemental 8”x12” mirror in main saloon.
• Hanging locker with outboard storage shelf.
• Stainless double-hooks (3) for clothing
• Enclosed head/shower
• Teak companionway steps with tool storage.
• Polished SS sink with removable Corian cover.
• Drawers (3) for flatware w/Rubbermaid organizer, utensils & rolled goods
• Top-loading and sliding drawer 5.5 cu ft. ice box w/dividers, organizer baskets and drain to gray water sump. 12v Seafrost Refrigeration w/ 2 ice trays
• General Ecology Seagull Water Purifier.
• Princess Single Burner Ceramic Cooktop.
• 5-Way Microwave Oven
• Sliding door storage cabinet with shelf.
• Storage locker for pots/pans and cleaning supplies under sink. Flip panel to large Rubbermaid trash bin.
• Overhead safety handrail and towel drying bar.
• Double stainless hook for hotpads and dishtowel.
• 4-35' black docklines & 4 fenders w/dual whips, fleece covers & pump
• USCG package of 12 life vests, flare kit, first aid kit and 4 fire extinguishers.
• West Marine Boatyard tool kit and boat hook
• 3x5 US ensign on teak flag staff